81 participants have graduated through the Green Skills local Green Army programme, supported by Conservation Volunteers Australia and the Federal Government. The Green Army teams traversed the great southern region from Frankland River in the west, Bremer Bay in the East and up to Gnowangerup in the north.
The Albany and Denmark based projects have now come to a close but the achievements will be long lasting. These include:
- 115 000 seedlings propagated and planted
- 2033 hectares of weed management focussing on Sydney Golden Wattle, Senecio glastifolius, Victorian Tea Tree and Taylorina
- 254 m3 of rubbish picked up
- 106 hectares or revegetation on public and private lands
- 180 hectares of erosion and public access works such as trails
- 55 community groups, local governments and events were assisted
- 25 kms of fencing to protect native vegetation
- 65 flora, fauna or weed assessments
- 29 Indigenous knowledge awareness events
Green Skills would like to acknowledge the support they have received during the programme from the parents and guardians of participants, Dept. of Parks and Wildlife, City of Albany and all local governments of the Great Southern region, community groups including Oyster Harbour Catchment, Torbay Catchment, Bremer Bay Trails, Fitzgerald Biosphere, Wellstead CRC, Bush Heritage Australia, Gilamii Centre, Denmark Weed Action Group and more, Southern Regional TAFE, St John Ambulance.
The Green Army was an Australian Government initiative that supports local environment and heritage conservation projects across Australia. The program provided opportunities for young Australians aged 17-24 years to gain hands on training and experience in environmental and heritage conservation fields, while participating in projects that generate real benefits for the environment.
Green Skills, with three offices based in Albany, Denmark and Perth, continues to operate all its other operations and projects.
Green Skills Inc is a non-profit community environmental organisation, established in 1989, is committed to the promotion and demonstration of sustainability by supporting the creation of sustainable employment opportunities, providing quality training and employment services, and through the management of a range of exciting projects.